Saturday, March 27, 2010

Happy Socks

Last fall, I went to the Toronto Creative Festival (formerly the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival). I had not been in a long time, preferring to go to the Kitchener-Waterloo Knitter's Fair. But having moved, it's easier for me to get into Toronto now by commuter train. When I had gone in the past, I was getting more and more frustrated by the irrelevant booths hawking sponge towels, etc and I was led to believe this was not an issue anymore. Well, there were still some booths. And, there were so many non-knitting booths to weed through. I don't mind the sewing stuff too much, although I sew a little, there wasn't anything I saw that I needed for the price. And no more fabric until I sew some of what I have! What wore me out were the endless scrapbooking and beading booths. I know those are hot, but when you're not in to them, it's annoying, LOL. I did do some scrapbooking 10 years ago, and back then, it was really hard to find supplies. Now, I'm not doing it and the stuff is EVERYWHERE.
Anyway, I did find the yarn booths, and even ran into a member of the knitting guild I used to belong to! I also got to meet Wise Hilda. Although I had been doing really well about not buying yarn, I did find a few balls there that I picked up for a good deal.
One ball was some Austermann Step (the one with aloe and jojoba!) for $10. It's a crazy colour, but I couldn't resist the happiness radiating from the ball.
Right at this same time, the Hat Heel Socks came out on www.knitty.com . Since one of the yarns used was Step, I figured this was a sign. I got a good start on the socks, but it always seemed that when I needed a brainless project, these were in a 'must follow directions' stage.
Finally they got done....Oct 24 to March 20! They are unique, but like a lot of other posters on Ravelry, I don't know that I'd make them again. They do fit well around the heel, but they feel odd. Especially in my skates. Like, there's a slingshot around my ankle. I've learned how to adapt a short row heel to fit my heel for toe up socks, so it's not a huge concern to me anymore. And, I've been knitting enough socks that I can pretty comfortably knit them top down without worrying about running out of yarn (esp. with Step. That yarn has a LOT of yardage). However, I just started a Cookie A. pattern, top down, and am working with a limited amount of Kroy 3 ply......

No comments: