Sunday, August 29, 2010

Marbles

I started this 'little' project as both a stash buster and a mindless knit for movie watching. I had been at Michaels and they had Red Heart Strata on sale, and it seems identical to James Brett Marble. I'd used the marble before and really liked it, but really felt it was NOT a DK yarn like the label suggests. The RH Strata had a more realistic gauge on it. I had one ball of the Marble in the blues so I bought one ball of the RH. I planned to alternate balls for the different sections; that didn't quite happen.
It starts off with an obscene length of garter stitch, 6 sts wide. I did the first tie, got going on the triangle shape, and decided after a fair ways along that it was at the wrong gauge for the yarn. I think I ripped back to the end of the tie. While finishing at the other end, I think I remembered that there had been gauge issues and instead of knitting the same number of garter ridges I had to measure instead (I don't think the difference in gauge is noticeable). It's called Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater
and is from the book "Greetings From Knit Cafe". A quick stroll through my blog revealed that I posted about getting this book from the library, Jan 2008. So, it took me a little over 2 1/2 years to get it made. And into the gift stash box it goes!

No comments: