Monday, May 02, 2011

Ahhh, Man!!

I was inspired by the revelation that I could take a knit contour/radar pattern and turn it into a sewing pattern.  I wanted to make a simple pullover.  For awhile, I've thought of using the red fleece sweater that I based the green striped one on, as a pattern to sew another simple top, but altered to fit me a bit better.  So, I'm not sure if I'm going to make a sweater based on the red top, or based on the knit contour pattern that's based on the red top, LOL!
I was at Fabricland, picking up a "couple small things"  (thread, zipper...) and of course I looked at the clearance bin.  There was some perfect knit fabric pieces.  I wasn't sure how much I'd need, but at 1.3m and 1.5m, I thought I should be able to do something.  I've also thought maybe a wintery nightgown.  It'd be more comfortable than flannel, and perhaps not so granny-ish.
Meg took all the bands off the pieces of fabric that I bought.  I was feeling chilled, so I shook out one of the knit pieces to wrap around me.  I was stunned to see two patches where there wasn't any dye!  (The picture shows one spot).  The label didn't say it was flawed!  I don't know if I'll be able to layout a sweater and avoid the two patches.  Maybe a pattern with more pieces that could be jigsawed around the patches.  Bummer.  I'll probably end up with a nightgown after all (and this was the bigger of the two pieces!).

2 comments:

Joan said...

Maybe disguise the white patches with mid grey or purple fabric paint/pen. Or go to a totally creative zone and put a repeating stamped or fabric paint design on the fabric to not only cover the dye free patches but to create a really pretty fabric.

TracyKM said...

My first thought was to see if I had a fabric marker to match, but I know if I don't match it exactly, it'd bug me. But I have a lot of fabric paints, I could get some purple and do a random pattern...different enough to look intentional! Thanks!