Thursday, January 26, 2012

Yarn Confession Time

Yes, I spelled "confession" right this time :)

The school board and police services are having a cold weather clothing drive for northern First Nations communities.  I don't have a lot that I can donate in the way of winter boots or snowpants, but I do have a lot of yarn to make hats!  Or so I thought!  After about 5 hats, I was getting worried!  The pattern I'm using is a doubled hat, and it uses a lot of yarn, up to 160gr for a man's hat!  I wanted to get the kids involved too, so we went to Zeller's, where they just happened to be having a sale on Bernat Super Value and TLC Essentials.  Buy One, Get One 1/2 off.  We picked out 8 skeins, but I found out when we got home that one of the ones Hugh picked--Bernat Camouflage--was not on sale, which meant that one of the other yarns could not be half price.  Oh well!

Bernat Camouflage            142gr    $6.49
Super Value Wild Flowers  142gr    $5.39
Super Value  Super Pink     197gr     $6.49
TLC Dark Brown                 170gr    $3.24
Super Value Damson          197gr     $6.49
Super Value Lotus               142gr    $3.24
Super Value Luxury Ombre 142gr    $6.49
TLC Surf n Turf                    127gr    $3.24

Total                                  +1259gr     $46.41 (inc 13% tax)

Year Total In                      +1917gr      $77.19
Year Total Out                  -1246gr
  Total Surplus                    +671gr yarn in

However, I have over 1200gr of hats and scarves for donation that won't be totalled up until Sunday night.  Although the yarn in got a huge boost last night from a donation from a friend of my mother in law.  Wish I could have gotten it last weekend instead of buying more yarn, but it was fun teaching the kids how to use the machines.  So far, I'm averaging spending about $2.50 per day on yarn.   I expect that to go down though!

2 comments:

Marg said...

Looks like you are gaining ground on your stash of yarn. Keep up the good work.

TracyKM said...

Oh boy Marg....on top of the yarn I got gifted to me last week, I was at a Stedman's this weekend and picked up MORE yarn! It was a good deal....