Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Scarf

Just a reminder to leave me a comment about how you found my blog, and how long you've been reading, to be entered into a draw to win a copy of "Posh Pocket  Sewing Tips".  It's an adorable purse sized book filled with lots of tips to streamline your sewing and keep your creativity flowing.

At the recent machine knitting group I go to, I was having a hard time with a project.  I ran out of yarn for a hat.  Tried again, a bit smaller, but still not enough.  Then I tried another ruffle scarf.  I had picked out a grey/black ball  (66gr--100gr is a full ball) of  Bernat Truffles.  This was in the package of ruffle yarns I had gotten at Value Village, and I chose it that day because it's different than the other mesh ruffle yarns.   It has the edge with the loops that goes on the needles, then a narrow, silky ribbon like section, then the other edge is a thick chenille strand.  It's not very wide.

I thought I'd knit it with some grey yarn as the backing yarn.  No way was this happening.  I could not keep the thin ribbon down and the loops kept popping off the needles, more weight didn't really help.  It was not liking me.  Finally, I gave up and knit it over 5 needles, with 3 out of work needles between each.  I hung every other loop on the loopy edge on each needle and "knit" each stitch by hand.

Even so, it was a very quick knit.  The scarf is lovely, though since it technically is in stockinette stitch, it rolls!  The stitches close in, and with the rolling, it's become a very narrow scarf with a neat look.  Not so overly frou-frou like the other mesh yarns.  Available for  $25.

Later in the week, I picked up another ball, in browns, from Wal-Mart ($5.61; 100gr).  I thought I'd try handknitting it since I needed a travel project.  OMG.  I could manage the stitches, but I realized that by knitting every row, the ruffles end up on both sides, and I found maneuvering the yarn at the start of the row very awkward...I kept wanting to knit it heading back towards the ball somehow!!  I finally gave up.

Then when I went to put the ball of yarn back downstairs, I realized that the bag I got at Value Village had a ball of it in the browns!  So, do I make a double wide scarf (and considering how narrow it is when it rolls, it still won't be wide), or do I make two narrow ones?  I'll have to weigh the ball from VV first.

Then, I had to go to Michaels to pick up some yarn to make a matching diaper cover to go with that adorable pink/beige hat, so I had to pick up a few other balls of yarn while I was there (total: $11.27; 300gr).   I've got a little stack of itty bitty baby items to photograph and weigh before meeting the photographer tomorrow.  So exciting!

Yarn In:  400gr + 17 741gr = 18 141gr
Yarn Out:  66gr+ 14 574gr =  14 640gr
Balance:  3501gr more brought IN than used up
Costs:  $16.88 + $420.20= $437.08/311 days = $1.41

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy.. this is your FB knitting friend Patricia T... I really don't remember how long or how I found your blog LOL I've been lurking for some time now..
I really do need to make my daughter one of these scarf's.. I don't know how you manage to take care of a family and knit as much as you do..