Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chunky Cable Hat

I had an order for the chunky cable hat, from the mom of the baby who's photo shoot I helped on.  She wanted a dark grey, charcoal.  A few of the pictures had her boy posed on this lush charcoal grey fur, and he looked awesome.  I started with some yarn I had, but I wasn't keen on it--it was dark grey, but had quite the teal tint to it.  Like gunmetal blue.  So I went in search of Patons Shetland Chunky in Charcoal, but when I found it at the store, it was nearly black!  I had just made one in that exact colour (but I thought it would be too big for this order).  There was another yarn in the colour I wanted though.

 
Click on the photo to see it bigger!
 
It's a nice little cap, and the boy looks adorable in it.  If you want to see that shot, "like" my Facebook page and see it under "Posts by Others"!  I really want to make an adult version...
 
I'm on the hunt for a grey mohair, and for a cream thick/thin yarn, so I stopped at the Salvation Army today.  Didn't find either, but I got 8 balls of fake mohair in other colours, and a novelty fur in a neat rusty colour.  432gr, for $9.  Newborn prop items take such little yarn, I've really got to get a grip on yarn shopping!  LOL. 
 
Yarn In:  432gr + 9646gr = 10 078gr
Yarn Out:  25gr + 5177gr = 5202gr
Balance:  4876gr more brought IN than out
Cost:  $9 + $282.79 = $291.79/262 days = $1.11/day
 
I still have a large blanket I made early in the year to show, but I wanted to get the machine knit edging on it before considering weighing it and declaring it finished.  But with the chaos in the basement, I haven't gotten to it.  It will definitely bring my "out" total up!  Also, stay tuned for an adorable monkey set, and a new shawl for me!

No comments: