Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sewing for Sons

I don't think I had ever sewn anything for my son. He was a picky child and my skills weren't all that great. Wait. I did sew him pajamas, making every mistake possible like not noticing it was one way fabric and that the legs needed to be reversed. Other than that, I don't think I did anything more for him.

One day, this past May, he came to me and said I had to do laundry because he's out of clean shirts. What?! His drawer is full. Apparently none of those fit. I decided rather than do laundry, I would sew him a shirt. Why not? I had this awesome blue striped fabric! Perfect.

I picked Melly Sews' Man's T-Shirt. It was free, though I see a $2 button there. Maybe it's free only if you get her newsletter. Which has been quite interesting, so I don't mind. There's not a lot of free men's patterns out there.


It went together fine, though I could not get the neckband to look nice using her directions, so I gave up and did it the way I'd been doing the other t-shirts (as a band instead of binding).  I did twin needle hemming though some of it came undone and I had to fix it up. I did have a problem with the hem. Even though the stripes lined up at the sides, the stripes spiralled, so the hem...I couldn't just follow a line of blue. He hasn't complained.

He seems to love it. It's lightweight, casual, and reverse of another shirt he has.
He didn't want to appear on my blog LOL.

No comments: